Get More Twitter Followers – Social Media Tips from TheRohans.com
Hi, It’s Cali Julz…Very nice to meet me. I’m the new Maven at TheRohans presenting Social Media with an in-your-face attitude…so buckle up and enjoy the ride!
I’ll be doing a series of posts breaking down how to use Twitter – simply and strategically.
I love Twitter. What a tool to meet people, promote your business, advertise a sale and get the latest news. I check Twitter first, don’t you?
Today we are focusing on building followers. Your community is your most important priority – engaging them, exciting them, and educating them!
Having a relevant presence on Twitter is extremely important when building your brand. Twitter is growing quickly – there’s a lot of noise out there. Take the time to plan your presence carefully and share relevant content that is engaging and will build your community.
So how can you build a following made up of real people? It’s easy so let’s go!
Once you sign up for Twitter, find your friends, your colleagues, your favorite businesses and news sources and follow. They will get a note that you are following and hopefully will follow you – though there are no guarantees. So follow people you are interested in connecting, not just trying to get more faceless numbers.
After that, you want to start finding people and resources that are relevant to your interests and your business. Here are some ideas:
- Once you have your initial set of who you are following, look at their profiles and see who they follow – if interesting and relevant, follow them.
- Use hashtags (more on this in the coming weeks) and engage in trending topics to discover who’s talking and what’s relevant to you.
- Retweet or mention users (another topic coming soon) you’d like to gain as followers.
- Have a catchy bio – an interesting bio (with keyterms and links to your site) can attract more followers – look like a real person or business.
- Promote your twitter handle on all other Social Media channels.
- Use services to find people by location. Follow anyone who is relevant to your biz. If a relevant twitterer is followed by lots of people, might be a good person to have in your community. Try using Foursquare (https://foursquare.com/) and Google Places (https://www.google.com/business/placesforbusiness/) – mobile apps to discover who’s close by and how they are connected to other individuals in a room via publicly available social media profiles and location information from Twitter.
Top Tips for Gaining Followers:
- Share content more often than you are selling, don’t promote your business more than 50% of the time.
- Repeat your most popular tweets. Use a tool like Hoot Suite (https://hootsuite.com/), to discover which posts are popular.
- Regularly un-follow people who are irrelevant to your business and who haven’t followed you back unless you get value from their tweets (sometimes following too many people can work against you – there are some limits in Twitter).
- Follow others, yet be cautious as quality is more important than quantity. You want to be able to stay up to date with what’s happening and join conversations.
- Create lists help filter tweets…Lists help you organize your followers into categories or groups, which allows you to easily see tweets from a specific group without having to scan your entire feed.
- Do NOT use a follow service, grow followers naturally, or you won’t be seen as human and authentic – the secret of Twitter.
Remember, gaining relevant followers on Twitter won’t happen overnight, steadily improve your follower numbers month to month to build a valuable community.
Do you want more relevant followers, or need help getting involved in Twitter? Email me at Julie@TheRohans.com. It’ll be the ride of your life!
– By Julie Whitson